Friday, May 20, 2016

We're Half Way There

May 20th, 2016

    These past two days exploring the western fjords have been wonderful. Yesterday (5/19/16) we drove two hours out to Látrabjarg, the western most point of Europe (that's pretty cool to say). The cliffs here were beautiful and the clear blue ocean water only made the scene more incredible. What makes this place even more special, however, is the wildlife! There are about ten different species of birds inhabiting these rocky cliffs and up to a million birds living here in the warmer months. The most populated birds are the three species of "Black Bird," the Brunnich's guillemot, guillemot, and razor billed auk. They all look very similar but I'm sure we saw all three species. We also saw many fulmar, or seagull like birds. My favorite by far, however, were the puffins!! They are so cute with their little round bodies and beautiful with their bright orange beaks. They are unique to this area and are an iconic part of Iceland (I can now officially say I've been to Iceland since I've seen them). I could have watched them all day. Very different to the birds but just as cool were the grey seals lounging on the rocks off of the cliffs! They were massive! We had to use binoculars to see them because they were off the coast and the cliffs were so high. Not gonna lie I was a little nervous on the cliffs; they have unstable edges and it's a long way down.
   Today (5/20/16) we traveled two hours out to the Dynjandi Waterfall. On the way we stopped up in the snow topped mountains for a brief recap lecture of what we have learned so far on the trip. It was enjoyable to stand outside in the sun (we have been so lucky with weather) and I am impressed with how much I am learning and retaining out here in the field. The waterfall itself was huge! It's hard to tell its scale from a far but once you get close to it, it's sheer size is incredible. I was amazed at the intricate network of cascades that composed this waterfall. It was 99m high, 30m wide at the top, and 60m wide at the base. Earth creates some pretty cool things. 
   We are going to cook dinner at the hostel for another relaxing evening. It's been nice having time to recuperate, hang out with friends, catch up on work, and explore the town. Tomorrow is an exploration day of the area so I am excited to see what that holds (PSA: possible whale sightings tomorrow... Talk about some awesome wildlife out here in the western fjords.)
   I am so sad to realize that today is the halfway point in our adventure. I have already had so many incredible experiences that I will cherish for the rest of my life. At the same time I am so excited for what the rest of Iceland has to hold! I don't want this time to end!

5/21/16 whale update: While we did not find any whales on our hike today, we did find other amazing creatures! While walking along the fjord beneath cliffs and snow covered mountains and along golden beaches, we saw grey seals who were playing in the water, dophins  that followed us back into the harbor, and sea monsters. Yes sea monsters. I have never seen the remains of such a creepy and scary looking fish in my life. What I really want to know, however, is what ate those fish? 
    

No comments:

Post a Comment